Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Culture Shock in Bangkok


For those of you who didn’t know, I am completing a three-month practicum at a private school in Bangkok, Thailand, through the University of Manitoba.  I arrived here Sunday at about 12 noon, and am staying until July 28th.  There is a twelve-hour time difference between Winnipeg and Bangkok.

I realize now that I really didn’t know what I was getting myself into when I signed up for this trip.  Bangkok has a completely different culture, climate, and atmosphere than Winnipeg.  For instance, the unbelievable heat immediately struck me.  I knew it was supposed to be hot, but you can’t imagine it without experiencing it.  I also heard from year-long teachers that this year was especially hot.  The temperature has consistently been in the high 30s, and with humidity feels like the high 40s.  In Bangkok, many people eat street food from street vendors instead of cooking their own.  I am included in this group because my apartment does not have a kitchen.  My room is pretty large, but also sparse.  I have been adding some things to make it homier, though; like a fan and my mattress topper, for instance (both absolute necessities). 


Photos of my room
Finding a food vendor can be kind of intimidating because a lot of the foods are unfamiliar.  That being said, so far I have been able to find some very tame meals (with very little spice).  A major staple of my diet has become chicken and rice.  Also, Bangkok has a variety of fast food restaurants that you would find in Winnipeg, such as Pizza Hut, McDonalds, and the popular KFC. 

One of the places I have eaten at.  The kitchen is outside the restaurant (which is common) because of the heat.
(The pictures below were taken at a place practicum students call Old Bar.  Top: some of the people from the U of M Bottom: Old Bar exterior - note that there are no walls.  At Old Bar, you don't get a menu; you just have to order food and hope that they can make it)


What I found interesting while the plane was landing in Bangkok is that there is actually a lot of open fields and space, at least on the outskirts of the city.  The apartment I am staying in though, once one of the campuses for the school I am teaching at, is in the midst of a bustling neighbourhood.  There are a lot of small shops and vendors lining the streets, many of which are very simply constructed. 

A view on the ski (street) around 7 pm.
Also, the driving habits of people in Bangkok are in general a lot less restricted than those in Winnipeg.  For instance, drivers get very close to one another, do not signal, and can drive in two lanes if necessary.  You do not even have a seatbelt to wear if you wanted one, and there is no limit to the amount of passengers a cab can hold.  There are also many motorcycles, which weave through traffic. As soon as the work day is over, motorcycles take over the sidewalks, so you need to be careful where you walk.  

(All the pink cars are taxi's, along with some others.  It is never a problem to find a taxi when you need one, because they are all over the streets in Bangkok.  The meter starts at 35 baht, which is just over $1 CDN)

Overall, life in Bangkok is very different from that in Winnipeg, and I am still trying to adjust to it.  I have found, however, that the Thai people I have interacted with have been very helpful and kind.  Many also know a little bit of English, which makes it easier to communicate.  

No comments:

Post a Comment